The 1st Redditaisai Draws Near

Hello all~

For the past 7 months, folks have been getting ready for an online event over at the Touhou sub-reddit, with the mashed up yet appropriate title of “Reddit-taisai”.

The online event, planned for Saturday, July 16th, is inspired by the market-like events Comiket and Reitaisai in Japan, and aims to bring fans and content creators in the west together for a day. Unlike Japan, the west faces the issue where fans are scattered everywhere, and setting up a central (physical) environment to satisfy everyone is impossible.

To solve this, some folks from the Touhou sub-reddit group posted the idea and set the date, and fans all over the world have been busy working on their own projects, artwork, music albums, fan games, and more which will all be available during the event.

During Redditaisai, Gensokyo Radio will also be taking part by broadcasting live throughout the day, talking with folks during the event, and maybe even making some new things available in the store (logistics pending, I’ll explain why this is in a future post).

Until then, be sure to mark your calendars for July 16th. We’ll be on our partnered Discord server as usual (join via the sidebar), and I hope to see you there!

User Comments (migrated from legacy news system)

(Guest) Teirdalin Shadowfall | Posted on August 30th, 2016, 08:14:40 PM
Hey, I was wondering if you had an android mobile app? If not I could perhaps look into designing one as a tiny side-project; I’d love to be able to listen to Gensokyoradio in app form considering the majority of phone browsers are garbage.

Khoury | Posted on August 31st, 2016, 12:18:18 AM
ayy lmao Dragoncon is coming up; does GKR have any event planned there? Moreover, are any peeps attending dragoncon? viva la GKR!

LunarSpotlight | Posted on September 3rd, 2016, 10:10:30 PM
@Teirdalin We don’t currently have an Android app, but it is one of the goals via LSM’s campaign. We have a preliminary design for one, but app development is very complex and we would strongly prefer if you left it to us. Thanks for the consideration though! @Khoury We have had surprisingly little contact for promotion at other events this year, and Dragoncon is not on our list this year. It would be cool if there were other folks interested in helping out on the promotional front. If you or anyone else is interested, please use our contact page to get in touch. Thanks!

(Guest) Teirdalin | Posted on September 4th, 2016, 02:20:29 AM
“app development is very complex” I’ve heard funnier jokes, but either way I’m glad it’s going to be done officially eventually. :stuck_out_tongue:

LunarSpotlight | Posted on September 4th, 2016, 03:49:53 PM
@Teirdalin I don’t say this lightly. I’m a software tester by profession, with more than a year specifically testing applications for Android and iOS. Some of the most mundane things can be the most finicky and strange to figure out when it comes to how certain functions behave across multiple devices, different OS versions, etc. For example, Samsung phones (like the Galaxy series) tend to come with highly customized versions of the Android OS, and sometimes developers needed to jump through some very strange hoops to make certain functions work. The GR app would ideally come with some advanced functionality including the ability to stream music (of course), as well as browsing through library info (one of the simpler bits), being able to rate songs as they’re played, and so on. Sure, some apps are simple and easy and run into few problems. I’ve seen what happens when things don’t go well.