Statistics for July 2012

Yet again, we broke more records in July on the station and the website. Part of the numbers you’ll see below can be attributed to the promotion we did at the end of June at AX2012 in California. Even though there was a small number of materials that made it into peoples’ hands, the effects have the potential to compound as people tell their friends about Gensokyo Radio. Of course, there’s more at work than just that though, so let’s get to the numbers.

• Over 50 million seconds (more than 20 months) of music was streamed in July, the most ever.
  • July had a 33% increase in listen time compared to June.
  • 94 countries connected to Gensokyo Radio at some point in July.
  • The US again had more than 3,000 listener connections for an extended period of time.
  • Japan passed the milestone of 2,000 listener connections in a week in July.

New Stats Data Available

We’ve also added a new statistics section to the sidebar which shows Listen Time by Country. This is a more accurate depiction of what countries listen to Gensokyo Radio the most. We’re able to track down to the second what countries have tuned in, when, and for how long. This gives us a lot of interesting data, and we’d like to share some of it with you. Here are some numbers comparing listen time changes between June and July.

• Australia saw one of the largest listen time increases in July, advancing from 18th place in June, to 5th place in July.
  • Other notable countries that saw increases in listen time and ranking were Singapore, moving from 32nd to 16th, and Greece, moving from 31st to 17th.
  • The UK saw a decline in listen time, causing them to move from 5th to 10th place. Peru and Finland also moved down 6 places each, from 6th and 7th place, to 12th and 13th place, respectively.

This new data makes it possible to see where your country stands in the rankings. We’re interested to hear what our listeners think of this new data!

What’s Been Going On

Finally, an update on what’s been going on behind the scenes at Gensokyo Radio. Some people may be wondering where some of the new features are, or what has changed since GSR4 went live. So, for those wondering, I’ve put together a list of things I’ve done to improve the site since re-launch.

• Album art was resized to optimize load times for live song information and song history displays. Information now loads about 70% faster.
  • An issue was fixed with hiding and then showing the live info display. The display will now only reload new song info when the song has changed, rather than when the info display is shown again.
  • The “Contact Us” link and page were reformatted and relinked.
  • The Community Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Disclaimer were written and made available.
  • Some log entry code was re-written to better handle quotation marks in song information on the fly.
  • A new script was written to correct songs in the database log for songs that did not yet have an internal song ID. This corrected more than 7,000 song entries in the database. The result is that the information listing how many times a song has been played (played 18 times, etc.) is considerably more accurate. Not all songs are corrected, so some songs may still display this information incorrectly.
  • Listen time information was added to the sidebar as a new way to look at listener data.
  • Designs for the Rating & Comments feature have been made, and coding will begin shortly.

One last note about Gensokyo Radio’s new user system. We’ve seen site visitors try to register on the page, but the system remains inactive because there simply aren’t any features to use an account for at this time. It’s definitely cool that people are eager to set up an account and do more on the site, but things like commenting and rating, the listener history system, profiles, notifications, etc. simply aren’t set up yet. When there’s something to use accounts for, that’s when I’ll open it up for people. Until then, you’ll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Thanks for listening ~

User Comments (migrated from legacy news system)

sonicmega | Posted on August 1st, 2012, 07:24:14 AM
FIRST!!!99999

auritribe | Posted on August 1st, 2012, 07:26:47 AM
You have a rather interesting keyboard layout.

LunarSpotlight | Posted on August 1st, 2012, 07:31:18 AM
That’s hilarious :smiley:

(Guest) 小さいサテライト | Posted on August 1st, 2012, 07:59:20 AM
すごい。

Noldesu | Posted on August 1st, 2012, 05:48:39 PM
This is awesome and still continues to be awesome, I love that. Just a little question, Do you expect a crapload of people trying to register when the sign up section gets enabled? Just asked for curiosity.

LunarSpotlight | Posted on August 1st, 2012, 07:45:08 PM
I think there will be plenty of people that will sign up when they can, but I would be seriously surprised if it backs up the site or something similar. I don’t think there will be /that/ many people :3