Gensokyo Radio is Moving to California!

Greetings music fans~

As you may be aware, Gensokyo Radio has been getting more and more listeners than ever before since it was founded in March 2011, and especially after the revamp in December 2011. In March of this year, we switched server providers from Florida to Michigan in the US. This gave the station increased reliability, and what we thought was increased listener capacity. When we discovered that we had half as much bandwidth as we originally thought last month (when we were forced to close the station for about 4 days), we could either pay an additional $40 for 50% more bandwidth, or change providers yet again.

So, we are changing to a provider in California, and we’re lining up things to switch over within the next 72 hours. Our new server increases our listener capacity by an incredible 500%, which means we need to average more than 100 listeners every day before we would have to start worrying about changing servers or plans again. While we certainly don’t need this amount of bandwidth at this stage, the price was right, so we went ahead and grabbed it.

As an added bonus, we’ll be further expanding our music library when we make the switch, so stay tuned!

Since we’re operating on a larger scale these days, we’ll be adding a small module underneath our donation button on the site. When someone makes a donation, we’ll list their username and donation amount on the sidebar and on a dedicated supporters page (if you do, please leave your username in the comment section on PayPal). It would be fantastic if we get at least $25/mo. to help pay for the servers that run Gensokyo Radio. Of course, we’ll run this out of our own pockets as we’ve done before if that doesn’t happen.

Any extra cash will help fund future months for server use, as well as continued promotion of the station though things like our promotional campaign this year where we’re handing out flyers at various conventions.

Thanks to everyone that’s been a fan of Gensokyo Radio, no matter when you became one. It’s you that has helped towards the continued growth of the station and the general Touhou music community. We hope to continue serving our fans as we have been.

Till later~

User Comments (migrated from legacy news system)

Hellcat | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 07:09:58 AM
500% Extra listeners? Pretty overkill there, but a big leap forward. Any estimation of how long the downtime will be?

(Guest) Echinodermata | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 10:51:17 AM
Yay! I hope this means no more blackouts. I’ll be sure to donate when I can.

LunarSpotlight | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 11:11:04 AM
@Hellcat I know it sounds like a lot, but their plans are set up a little strange where they offer much more bandwidth with much less disk space. Plus, the price is decent for what it is. Someone I know would call this “vast prosperity”, so it’s not a bad thing :slight_smile: Also, downtime will probably take around 10-15 minutes.

Shokushu | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 12:52:28 PM
Whoa this is pretty cool, I’m glad this radio is becoming more popular!

Kheldragar | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 04:40:04 PM
You know, I read that wrong the first time; I first read it as, “We increased by 500% listeners”, as the reason your bandwidth was exceeded. “We” have less than 100 listeners a day at this point, if I read that correctly?

LunarSpotlight | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 08:54:02 PM
@Kheldragar Yep, we’re averaging more around 30 listeners or slightly more these days, though we have listener count peaks in the mid to high 40s on a fairly regular basis.

Hellcat | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 08:54:28 PM
Donating should get you a cool, useless medal on your profile. :3

LunarSpotlight | Posted on August 22nd, 2012, 08:58:05 PM
Perhaps. I’ll look into various tags (or maybe even something like achievements) for profiles when those become available. Man, I wonder how people would react to that :3

Hellcat | Posted on August 23rd, 2012, 07:30:11 AM
Of course they react positively :3! Much more active members :smiley: