Anime Festival Asia: The Last Hurrah of 2013

This weekend, Anime Festival Asia takes place in Singapore, creating one of the largest gatherings of anime fans in the world! Naturally, Gensokyo Radio will have a presence here as we did at six other events this year with promotional handouts featuring artwork by Rosana Margarida and Ramnik Singh. This convention will be the final destination for our promotional campaign of 2013.

Where was Gensokyo Radio this year?

Gensokyo Radio will have held a presence at seven different locations around the world in 2013, in three different world regions. These places are:

• NipponCon in Bremen, Germany
  • AniMinneapolis in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
  • Anime Expo in Los Angeles, California, USA
  • SabotenCon in Phoenix, Arizona, USA
  • Tracon8 in Tampere, Finland
  • Anime Weekend Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia, USA
  • Anime Festival Asia in Singapore

This year marks the first year that promotion visited the European region. It revisited the Southeast Asia region this year, following last year’s promotion in Jakarta, Indonesia. In total, we’ve been to 10 separate events in 9 different locations, with Anime Expo being the only convention to have promotion both years. The other two events from last year were Otakuthon (2012) in Montreal, Canada and Anime Festival Asia: Indonesia (2012) in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Since promotion this year is essentially complete, I’d like to share with you some of the artwork we received from artists when we did our original call for artists earlier this year.

Who else submit artwork for this year’s promotional handout campaign?

In total, there were six artists that submit seven pieces of artwork in all, with two being chosen for the 2013 promotional campaign. These artists are (in alphabetical order):

• BakaImouto
  • KyoukoPro Studios
  • Ramnik Singh
  • Rebecca Ree
  • Rosana Margarida
  • Shafira

When I sat down with the other three staff members here at the site to determine which artwork we should choose to print, it took a lot longer to make our decision than we originally thought it would. After an hour and a half of deliberation, we decided to select two pieces rather than just one. Each artist was awarded 500 printed handouts with their credits on the back of each, for a total of 1,000 handouts.

Early estimates are that we successfully handed out roughly 850 handouts this year, more than quadruple the amount that was handed out last year.

Of course, one of the most important steps in promotion is having listeners and volunteers do the floor work of handing out materials at conventions and events. Without our volunteers, none of the promotion done this year would have been possible, and we would like to thank every single person that had a hand with these handouts. We will be updating our credits page here on the site to properly credit those that helped us this year. This list will be completed after confirming with volunteers how they would like to be credited on the site (real or screen names, etc). Among these volunteers are Sonicmega (Sean Chiplock) at Anime Expo 2013, Puzzle Plate at SabotenCon 2013, and DMJ654 at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013. Thanks to all of you!

Lastly, we would like to ask our listeners and readers to share with us their experience of how they came to be acquainted with Gensokyo Radio, even if it wasn’t necessarily by one of these handouts (though that’d be cool to hear about too). Write about it in the comments section below.

Thanks again to everyone involved in this year’s promotional campaign for making it a big success! We’ll be posting in the coming months about the search for artists for a possible 2014 promotional season, so stay tuned!

Thanks for listening!

User Comments (migrated from legacy news system)

(Guest) :3 from Canada | Posted on November 10th, 2013, 01:06:27 AM
I got connected because a friend recommended me to this website. They knew I wasn’t into normal celebrity fan-girl music on regular/popular radio stations, so they introduced me to this kind of music. I asked them where to go to find new songs and a constant playlist, and that’s how I got here. I’ve been listening ever since. I love the website. It keeps me entertained 24/7 and it makes homework just that much better. Thanks!

WanderingSky | Posted on November 10th, 2013, 02:43:18 AM
Good ol’ Anime Expo helped me discover Gensokyo Radio. Strolling through the Artist’s Alley, I was looking for some Touhou art. Then, I managed to find a booth which also happened to have the handouts. I picked one up (that sweet Marisa one) and continued on my merry way. After getting home, I started to sort through all of my AX goodies and in particular, looked at the Marisa handout again to see what it was all about and here I am! Special shoutout to Banzatou! If you’re reading this, thank you very much for having the Gensokyo Radio handouts at your booth because I know I wouldn’t be here without it!

TrollingKiwi | Posted on November 10th, 2013, 08:38:59 PM
Well there aren’t any big anime conventions here where I live, so i sadly did not discover Gensokyo Radio through the handouts. I actually was not even interested in Touhou until I found this station. It was through a Google Play Store App called “Anime Radio” which has direct links to a huge list of japanese music stations in general; and while scrolling through them, I came upon Gensokyo Radio. It became my instant fav because of the HUGE variety of music that was played here: jazz, pop, vocaloid, metal, etc. A great majority of the songs I listened to were great, so I decided to finally check your webpage here on my PC. This was…almost a year ago. And here I am :D. I’ve been a constant listener ever since and recently bought 2 t-shirts :3. I love this station. Great job!

Khoury | Posted on November 11th, 2013, 12:50:54 AM
I can’t say what brought me to Touhou exactly; my memory fails me. But GKR is one the greatest things to happen to me and I’m happy I found GKR.net. I found out about GKR through the THFNN homepage while I was exploring the myriad of links on the page. And in one click I became one of the first listeners to GKR when it was still in its infancy back in 2011. I’ve been here 2 years and my only regret is not being able to make 1-2 of the live shows. I miss the old websites, I wish there was a legacy archive or something like http://gensokyoradio.net/files/archive/oldskool_gkr.html

Tenku | Posted on November 12th, 2013, 05:52:02 AM
I was looking for touhou music, so I googled “Touhou music”. This site was in the top 10 search results, so I gave it a shot and loved it! Keep up the good work.

hiallofyou | Posted on November 12th, 2013, 09:52:36 AM
WHAT YOU WERE AT ANIME EXPO?!?!?! I didn’t get to see you guys D: Well technically i didn’t find out about GensokyoRadio till after Anime Expo. Just wanted to do some research on Gensokyo itself and I happen to stumble upon your website. Minutes later, I was hooked and I immediately bookmarked this site.

USC person | Posted on November 12th, 2013, 05:25:20 PM
does this radio only play touhou music? no touhou talk or discussion? still I love this site.

LunarSpotlight | Posted on November 13th, 2013, 10:16:47 AM
We have a couple different live broadcast shows we do, including “Gensokyo Radio Live” which is a 2-hour segment that plays about once a month and is hosted by some of the site staff, often with guests. The other show is called “Stage 5” which we’ve only had one show of, and is a talk segment with some music. That’s more of an experimental thing at this point. We’ll announce when either show is going to play about a week or two in advance.

Ryukun4713 | Posted on November 19th, 2013, 09:42:11 AM
I’ve found this site while being bored on my phone,looking for radio channels and stumbled upon Vocaloid radio. That caused me to think, is there Touhou one existing and even though my phone didn’t find one, I decided to look deeper and roam the internet,looking for answers. Eventually my question got answered as I found this site. Ever since I’ve been listening to this site and spreading the word of Gensokyo Radio to my friends and classmates.

Cheh1 | Posted on November 19th, 2013, 11:24:54 AM
I attended AFASG '13 and saw you guys. It’s nice to see that you guys came out to expos. I’m pretty sure you guys are noticed by others attendees so keep up the good work for the upcoming conventions! P/s: Will you guys be coming to Comic Fiesta '13 in Malaysia? 21-22 December :smiley:

LunarSpotlight | Posted on November 20th, 2013, 08:15:39 AM
@Cheh1 It depends completely on volunteers. We’re based in the United States and don’t have the budget to pick and choose where we travel or what conventions we’ll be at, so we rely on people who are going to these conventions to help promote for us. We’ve had a lot of support from the community this year, and it’s been pretty great.

AGuyAndAGun | Posted on November 21st, 2013, 05:53:00 AM
Simply put, I love Touhou. I was looking through Gensokyo.org one day and a forum post mentioned this I think, so that year or go back I found this and well, here I am. You guys have really grown since your beginnings, and I really think you should keep up the good work!